Monday, January 26, 2009

doom metal alliance interview submitted/done by ed.of earthdog promotions.

metal hails to you all!!
thanks alot for checking out our updates!! this time we have a treat for all of you doom metal supporters. a interview with the mighty doom metal alliance!! done by another true supporter of doom ed of earthdog
promotions.thanks alot to both ed and derek for taking the time to do this is interview!!!
patrick



interview with derek owner/creator of doom metal alliance.done by ed-who does the mighty earthdog promotions.support/add these guys!


Ed:When did you start the DMA?

Derek:I started the DMA in September of 2007, about a week after I got my computer.


Ed: Did you have a Myspace page before the DMA?

Derek: I had a myspace page about a year and a half before then, but it was just my personal profile. It sorta was like the DMA. I hunted down doom metal bands, and posted videos on my page. But it wasnt nearly like what you will see now, and i only did it for a couple months as I moved and had no access to a computer.

Ed: Cool so what made you want to promote Doom Metal?

Derek: It just sort of happened. I picked up my old myspace page when I got my computer. But I wanted it to be different. So I thought of a name, and started a new page. It was more just looking for bands than promoting them. I had started listening to doom in the summer of 2005 after I was shown Electric Wizards Dopethrone. I knew there had to be alot more, but my city sucks for music,so I used myspace.
The page was more designed for me to find it and hope others would use it to find doom as well. Then it just started to grow. I was having bands post me in their top friends, people made banners for me. Next thing I know, bands are asking for interviews, reviews and what not. It really just exploded on me.

Ed: It sure did,it seems to be growing all the time much like the scene itself.

Derek: The DMA will only be as good as the scene. since it got big, I have made it my intention be revolve around the bands who want the scene to expand.

Ed: Doom Metal has been like the under dog of the Metal scene,it will never be totally mainstream but what bands do you think have the most chance of getting some if any mainstream support?

Derek: The one band I think will lead the way is Pale Divine. I fucking love that band. Traditional doom that pushes the limits. With proper promotion, that band could accomplish so much.

Derek: Candlemass will always be our link to the metal mainstream when its said and done.

Ed: They are the most well known in the Doom Metal world it seems.

Derek: Especially since Rob Lowe is the vocalist. They are a completely solid unit with him.

Ed: I think he is the best vocalist they have ever had.

Derek: I definitely agree. I honestly think Messiah was a bit over the top, but that is only one mans opinion.

Ed: I agree with that one,how to you get inspire to do all the work you do seeing as it is all for free.

Derek: Sometimes its really hard. I have stopped doing the DMA a couple times as I had troubles getting inspired.A lot of it comes from fans telling me how good of a job I'm doing. Feedback is always good. I get some free music out of the deal and have also received a couple of really nice shirts, which helps.

Derek: I think doom might have the tightest scene around as we need to stick together. How many times Ive been told that other bands are the only audience at a show, and that is a pity.


Ed: Yes i have been to some shows like that which is a real shame.

Derek: There is no scene where I live. Not even a stoner rock band. I am pretty sure I am the only Doom fanatic in town.

Ed: Doom Metal heads tend to hide away in their homes,have you thought about doing a radio show in your town?DMA radio would be killer!

Derek: There was a chance at me doing a show on BER, but I think that ship has sailed. I could get on the local indy station, but the waiting list is like two years, and they dont put much metal on it. There actually isnt even a metal scene here. There are tons of fans, but no local bands. Two that I can think of, but they will go nowhere.


Ed:Well the DMA site is well known all over the world because of Myspace.Any chance soon of making a official DMA website.I don't want to be on Myspace forever.

Derek: I can say I have some very big plans involving the DMA. I just need to work my finances out first, but a dot com is going to happen,but Myspace will always remain a vital part of the DMA.

Ed: Its a great way of promoting that's for sure.

Derek: Its the best way of finding bands as well. They actually find me. One of my favorite acts at the moment, Sanctus Infernum, found me. I don't know if i would have heard them other wise.

Ed: I have found shit loads of great bands from the DMA site,it is like we dont have to look anymore.You supply the bands!

Derek: I am glad that the site does this. It was the intention to begin with, and its a pain in the ass really categorizing all of them in my friends list, and hoping I don't misrepresent them.

Ed: That's one thing i wanted to talk about,all these different labels people put on bands.Do you think its gone too far?

Derek: That is such a tough question. I can only imagine the frustration some bands feel when they are tagged with a style when they are trying to be completely innovative. But at the same time, its a good way to get noticed. I made a tag myself as some know. Sonic Doom. At least I think its my term, who really know. But I know if i hear someone say "we play sonic doom" I'm going to check that shit out.
I think its more fitting for bands like Acid King, Sons of Otis and the new sound of Toner Low that are all labeled as Stoner. When i think of stoner, i think Kyuss, Church of Misery and the likes.

Ed: That is something that has changed over the years.When i first heard of Stoner Rock it was Fu Manchu type riff rock now Doom Bands get that tag.

Derek:and stoner is too bogged down. Kyuss, CoM, Masters of Reality, Brant Bjork are all tagged as stoner, yet their styles are completely different. Its like the new Grunge.

I like to call Fu Manchu and that style desert rock myself.

Ed: Yeah it is in a way.You also trying to get the Doom Metal catergory happening on Myspace,how is that been going?

Derek: its not !

Myspace i don't think could give two shits about it. I would like to try and get big bands involved like Electric Wizard, Cathedral and Candlemass involved, but i don't think they would care too much.
I can see it as a minor detail.

Ed: I think bands like that don't really need Myspace,its more for the underground.

Derek: those bands have so many fans on myspace, that it automatically accepts friends. they don't use myspace too much. more of a billboard than anything.

Ed:True,how long do you think you can keep the DMA going?Hopefully it will be around for a long time.

Derek: Well in the past as i said earlier, i quit doing the DMA twice. A lot had to do with stress in my personal life. Everything has worked out for me, so I don't see myself dropping the DMA anytime soon. Not with what I'm wanting to do with it.

Ed: Do you want to tell us your future plans or should we just wait and be surprised.

Derek: I want to do anything I can with the site. If I could manage a way to do it, I would love it if I could make a living off of this stuff. I see myself distributing and possibly having a label this time next year.

Ed: That would be awesome,hope it all happens for you.

Derek: Anything to get out of cleaning 70 toilets a day!

Ed: Wow man,that sucks!

Derek: I agree

Ed: You have done some great interviews too,do you have a favorite?

Derek: i lost my favorite one. it was redone, but only by email. I sat down and talked to Joe Hasselvander for three hours. I got enough from him to write a book. when the interview was over, i closed the window without copying it all. I felt sick. I just wasted three hours of Joes life for nothing. But being the cool cat that he is, he let me send him my main list of questions and he redid it via email.

Ed: Yeah Joe is a cool dude,one of the true legends of Doom.


Ed:Is there anything you want to add?

Derek: Support the bands you like. If you have a myspace page, repost their bulletins. The fans are the best promotion for bands.
I agree,everybody needs to support all the bands.

to contact these 2 guys and their support/promotions check here
derek and the doom metal alliance
www.myspace.com/doommetalunion
and
ed and the earthdog promotions
http://www.myspace.com/aussierocka

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com